Red Moong and Squash Erissery for Veggie Belly as I'm off to India!

I am heading off to India next week! Am really excited-  this will be the little one's first visit to India to meet his adoring great grandmothers, uncles, aunts and cousins! Am also quite panicked because this will be the first time that I am travelling alone with the troublesome toddler, without his Pappa to keep him in check and provide entertainment.

As I am running around like a headless chicken packing tiny t-shirts and miniature nail clippers and all the other sundry things the monkey and I will need,  I decided I also wanted to do a guest post for Sala of Veggie Belly who is on a cross country road trip! How cool right? As a kid my parents would drive us down to Kerala almost every month and I LOVED it! making pit-stops at road side dhabbas for parottas, quarreling with siblings for the window seat, singing out loud and watching the changing landscape as we whizzed by, cities melting into villages and then forests and hills and fields, and the excitement as we spotted "our" river and the road curved into my grandmothers driveway.... and I might get to do atleast some of that soon. Hope that you are having an awesome time Sala, thank you so much for haing me over to guest post for you!


(Update: This picture won me my very first DMBLGIT award for photography! )

Since Sala is part Malayali and loves Kerala food, I am sharing one of my favourite everyday Kerala dishes, Red Moong and Butternut Squash in Coconut ( Van Payar Mathanga Eriserry ) -something simple yet comforting and delicious, and perfect for the transition to the fall season that I will be missing out on. I think it will  make a really different yet delicious addition to your thanksgiving feast :)


Eriserry is a typical lentil dish from Kerala like parripu (Dal or Yellow Moong stew) and cherupayar (Green Moong) and is part of everyday meals being nutritious and easy to digest. It is also often part of the Onam Sadhya or harvest feast. I like to serve eriserry with a heaping mound of rice, pappadam and pickle and don't forget the payasam for dessert!

Do head over to Veggie Belly for the rest of the post and the recipe and well as drool at Sala's glorious vegetarian fare including such awesomeness as chocolate beetroot cake and lovely Chettinad fare!

Also sending this off to this month's Kerala Kitchen hosted by the lovely Divya of Easycooking. Don't forget to send her all the Kerala inspired dishes you cooked up this month!

And please DO pray that the little monkey and I survive our trip ( and each other!) See you all next from India :)

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful presentation!! Hopping to veggie belly for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, seriously am drooling over those inviting curry and fabulous clicks...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all kinds of erissery, that looks delicious. I too traveled alone with my toddler and was scared crazy, but thankfully things were peaceful apart from me not getting any sleep. But u can catch up on that as soon as u land. All the best:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful clicks! hope u had a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely pic rose and the guest post was nice ;hey have a fabulous stay in India- I bet ur lil one will be very sweet n harming throughout the travel- Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all! we did have quite a pleasant journey despite my worrying! Enjoying family now and yes the little one is at his charming best thank God!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love love LOVE tasty curries!! Many thanks for the excellent recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your post. This is excellent information.
    Visit Best Astrologer in Indiranagar.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile and encourage me to keep blogging! Thanks for visiting and taking time to leave me a message :)