I remember at a pot luck dinner a friend didn't try my mom's pudding because she thought that the sunny orange top layer was made entirely of egg yolk! I insisted she try a slice and of course she was hooked! I overheard her saying that my mom's dessert was the yummiest!
- 10 Marie Biscuits / graham crackers
- Butter (salted or unsalted) 100 gms
- 1 Cup Milk
- Sugar ( 3 ounces or 3 heaped tablespoons)
- Corn Flour 2 tbsp
- Custard Powder 1 tbsp
- 1 cup Orange Juice/Mango Juice- Tropicana or other store bought 100% juice with or without pulp works fine
Appliances: Stove & Microwave/oven
Layer 1: Biscuit Layer
- Crush the biscuits using a rolling pin until powdered. Put it in a glass microwaveable dish/ baking dish.
- Mix well with 4 tablespoons of butter and 4 tablespoons milk until it becomes of mould able consistency.Spread &
- Pat well into a thin layer at the bottom of the pan
- Microwave on high power and heating & baking combination or bake in oven on a slow flame for 5-10 minutes.
Layer 2: Custard Layer
- Heat 1 cup milk in a sauce pan.
- Mix 1 heaped tablespoon custard powder & 1 heaped tablespoon cornflour with 1/4 cup water till smooth.
- Add this to the hot milk stirring continuously over slow flame until it thickens.
- Add 3 Ounces ( 3 heaped tablespoons) of sugar
- Add 2 Ounces of butter
- Mix well until butter & sugar has melted into the thickened milk.
- Allow to cool, then spread over the biscuit layer and chill in refrigerator until it sets
Layer 3: Orange/Mango Filling
- Mix 1 tablespoon custard powder & 1 tablespoon cornflour well to 1 Cup Orange/Mango Juice.
- Bring to a boil stirring continuously. Add 1 ounce butter.
- Cool and spread over custard layer once it has set.
Let the pudding set in the fridge for about an hour and serve chilled. This can also be made in ramekins or shot glasses and served individually.