Apple Oatmeal Smoothie


Do you have a cheeky monkey running loose? I do. Is he a picky eater? Mine is, most of the time :( He stubbornly refuses delicious roast chicken after having devoured it like it was candy the previous day. He clamps his mouth shut at the mere mention of cauliflower. Some days all he wants is his soy milk. So what's a Momma to do but sneak in apples and oat meal, with a dash of cinnamon and a spoonful of brown sugar, or maple syrup, and watch the cheeky monkey slurp it all down. Pappas will like this too- why not start off Father's day with some healthy and yummy, cool fruity-oatmeal goodness, perfect for these warm summer days :)



The sticky fingered apple thief! From knocking over props to running off with them, kids are not conducive to photography :( On the other hand these may be my two most favourite pictures ever!

P.s What do you think about my blog tweakings? Like it? or do you like the old look (with the cupcakes, remember them?) better? Do let me know! 
----------------------------------------------------------
Recipe Source: Inspired by Priya When I saw this on her blog I thought it was a brilliant idea.
Time taken: 10 mins Serves: 2 to 3 


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup instant or old fashioned oats cooked ( use a gluten free brand if you are allergic to gluten as some oats are not gluten free) 
  • 1 Apple peeled and chopped ( you can also use other fruit like berries, bananas, pomegranates etc.) 
  • 2 cups cold milk ( you can also use soymilk, almond milk or rice milk etc.)
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar or to taste ( you can also use maple syrup, agave, honey or regular sugar or if your fruits are sweet enough, you can skip the sugar.) 
Method:
  • Cook the oatmeal according to packet instructions ( I usually cover it with water and microwave for 1 min) 
  • Pour the cooked oatmeal into a blender
  • Add the chopped apples and remaining ingredients and blend till smooth
  • If it is too thick, add some more milk to thin it out ( especially if you are pouring it into sippy cups, you may want to make sure it isn't lumpy and liquid-y enough) 
  • Add ice if you like and serve chilled. 
Storage: Leftovers can be stored covered in the fridge.
----------------------------------------------------------
Verdict: Smooth, thick, goood and good for you too! Keeps you full and is totally yum. Thanks Priya for a great breakfast/anytime idea! The little monkey loves it too :)

20 comments:

  1. looks soooo good rose ; loved the clicks too !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jay and Priya! It is very yummy! Tried it with strawberries too and think bananas will be next :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a delicious, satiating idea -- I was intrigued by the apple oats combo when I saw it at Priya's too.

    And I like the new look of your page - cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed smoothie looks super delicious and marvellous, thanks for trying Magpie, i think banana and oatmeal works out wonder too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the new look to ur blog!!! And ur lil one!! Kids are actually a very interesting photography subject :) And this smoothie sounds delicious... Daddies, Mommies and kids can enjoy them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely combi of apples and oatmeal. Loved the idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks girls! Priya, brilliant idea! totally love it :)
    Sarah I love seeing your little cutie too! Can't wait to meet you both :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My family loves this too..these days I add lots of berries...and I loved the idea of adding cinnamon :-)and I have already told you how cute is the lil thief :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this smoothie idea.I am sure this would make a perfect breakfast for anyone. loved the new look too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finally i got to step into ut blog, beautiful and pic's with ur little one is so cute Rose and apple oatmeal smoothie would be great for breakfast!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kids are not favourable at all when it comes to pics taking. Mine has now started understanding how photography is important to me and thankfully he's obedient. But it was just the other way around until he was 3 1/2...Gawd!Its a hassle with kids around...Orkkaan polum vayya!

    BTW, loved ur new look, looks more professional:).Why don't you make three columns so that you dont have a single long draping column on right later on?...You can split the widgets and stuffs between two columns.And the blog will look better that way I feel. You can move teh main colum more towards left, and give space to another column..That's just my opinion k.I am a three column lover:)

    Love,
    shabs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Btw, this is one of our fave brekkys. slightly different though. I cook oats along with finely chopped apple, raisins, sugar and cinnamon powder.....ofcourse with milk. Divine.I dont puree them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much Namitha, Nisha, Vidhya, Ananda and Shabs I am so happy to have you'll visit me here- I love love love your blogs :)
    Thanks so much for your pointers Shabs!totally appreciate the feedback :) will try tweaking with the columns! and yes it is surprising the amount of trouble someone so little can get up too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks a friend said he lowered his cholesterol by drinking this sounds better than pils

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks a friend said he lowered his cholesterol by drinking this sounds better than pils

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks a friend said he lowered his cholesterol by drinking this sounds better than pils

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello There. I discovered your weblog using msn.
    That is a very smartly written article. I'll be sure to bookmark it and come back to learn extra of your useful info. Thank you for the post. I'll certainly return.


    Here is my site ... http://www.livechurchevents.com/SherriZcw

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile and encourage me to keep blogging! Thanks for visiting and taking time to leave me a message :)