Perfect Breakfast Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes

Fluffy, and with the interesting texture and health benefits of whole wheat flour, this has to be THE perfect pancake recipe. I have traversed many a food blog and chomped my way through countless rubbery, flat or too eggy pancakes to bring you this delicious and filling recipe. The Geek and I love breakfast foods-pancakes, hash browns, muffins, sausages, eggs benedict with hollandaise sauce .. mmm! Sunday breakfast at a quaint little diner was almost a ritual. After the jellybean's arrival, we've mostly been on granola or quick oats and suddenly mid week, I had a H-U-G-E craving for pancakes and decided to try out this recipe from here We had them for breakfast yesterday and I refrigerated the remaining batter to make pancakes again this morning. They were still nice and fluffy. The batter yeilded 14 medium sized pancakes.
Old-Fashioned Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe Source: Applepiepatispate For the Dry Ingredients: 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (traditional or pastry) 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 tablespoon brown sugar ( I used 2 tbs regular- it wasn't very sweet, just enough for the syrup to compensate for the demands of my sweet tooth) 1 teaspoon salt For the Wet Ingredients: 2 large eggs 2 1/2 to 3 cups buttermilk ( I used one cup of yogurt and 2 cups of water.For a dairy free version substitute with soymilk) 2 tablespoons vegetable oil ( I just used one and it was enough) Notes: * Make bigger batches of the dry ingredients – a.k.a. your own healthy instant pancake mix – and refrigerate in an airtight container until needed. * Use whole wheat pastry flour for more tender pancakes. * Replace up to 1/2 cup of the flour with wheat bran or germ for a better texture and nutritional profile. Metdod Stir together all of the dry ingredients in a bowl. Whisk the eggs with the buttermilk briefly and add to the dry ingredients. Mix the batter just until barely incorporated. Stir in the vegetable oil. It’s okay for the pancake batter to be lumpy and dry in some spots. Heat a non-stick griddle over medium heat, until sprinkled water dances across the surface. Ladle the batter in the middle of the griddle. Cook until bubbles start showing on the surface. At this point you can also put a few thinly cut slices of ripe banana. ( This tip is from my favourite diner where they also add chopped walnuts and shredded coconut too) Gently flip the pancakes and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes or until the pancake is set. As a variation, and for extra sweetness & flavour you can add some mashed up ripe bananas into the batter. Serve immediately and top with fresh fruits, butter, or your favorite pancake syrup.
Edited to add: This recipe can be modified slightly for a dairy free version with soy milk instead of buttermilk. They taste great though I do prefer the buttermilk version, however I'm on a dairy free diet and so I'll be making them this way for some time.

4 comments:

  1. tekstur yang menarik serta manfaat kesehatan dari tepung gandum utuh

    ReplyDelete
  2. with the interesting texture and health benefits of whole wheat flour

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have traversed many a food blog and chomped my way through countless rubbery, flat or too eggy pancakes to bring you this delicious and filling recipe.
    please visit link Tel-U

    ReplyDelete
  4. refrigerated the remaining batter to make pancakes again this morning.visit Tel-U

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile and encourage me to keep blogging! Thanks for visiting and taking time to leave me a message :)