A few days ago a friend asked me if I had a good carrot cake recipe. I didn't have one that I had actually tried and since then I have been dreaming of carrot cake. So this post is for her, for me and also for all those mommas out there who have kids (or hubbies) who don't eat their veggies. Here is the answer- put those unloved veggies in cake! Then sit back and watch them being devoured.Oh and devour some yourself-they taste fantastic!
I see myself doing this a few years from now when Jelly bean can but wont! eat his veggies. I will sneak zucchini in chocolate cake and make these tasty, healthy carrot cupcakes very, very often.
This genius, deceptively simple recipe is again from Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World.
Being Indian and because I love carrot halwa I had to play around with the spices so the changes I made were to add cardamom (elachi) and cloves in addition to the cinnamon in this fantastic recipe. I'm so glad I did. The whole house is filled with the aromas and I had to restrain myself from scooping up and eating all of the batter. I might also add some shredded fresh or frozen and thawed coconut next time.
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Recipe source: Adapted from
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger ( I overlooked this, maybe next time)
- I also added:
- 1/8 tsp clove powder
- 3-4 elachi powdered ( I just put the seeds on a paper towel, folded the towel over and whacked them with the back of my metal measuring cups until crushed and sort of powdery)
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh or frozen and thawed coconut ( Didn't add this time but will next time)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup soy yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup finely grated carrots ( I thawed frozen carrots for 2 mins in the microwave then pulsed them in my food processor on the chop setting. Don't pulse for too long lest they turn mushy)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts ( I didn't add these)
- 1/4 cup raisins (I hate raisins in cake so didn't add this either)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the wet ingredients sugar, vegetable oil, yogurt, and vanilla.
- Sift in the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices), and beat until smooth.
- Fold in shredded carrots, walnuts and raisins.
- Spray the cupcake liners with non-stick baking spray. Fill the liners 2/3 full.
- I also pushed in a cashew on to the top due to my carrot halwa hangover.
- Bake for 26-28 minutes ( I had to bake for 40 minutes and it was still a little gooey), until a toothpick inserted through the center of one comes out clean.
- Once fully cooled, top generously with cream cheese frosting.
I didnt have pastry bags so I tried using instead, an extra medicine dropper we had from the pharmacy, with which I sucked up the frosting and squeezed it into the centers. Worked quite well.
Ease: * * * * *
Taste: * * * * *
I made one biiig mistake with this recipe. I didn't double it.and that makes me sad because these are so gooood. Tender, moist, aromatic, chewy, slightly sticky interior and crunchy top yummyness! I only made 12 and they are almost over already. I'm just eating carrots I rationalize. Adding this to my mental list of favourite recipes and I highly recommend you do too. And also lay your hands on Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World and try out all the other vegan and awesome recipes. I have posted a few here too. Look in the recipe index or click here