I have been waiting to post this delicious recipe for an awesome sweet and sour pork that a friend sent me long ago. I played around with it quite a lot adding and subtracting until it was exactly how I liked it and so it is very different than it was originally but thanks V for bringing this to me. It is typically Asian with the soy sauce and ginger-garlic-chilly flavour combination. The smoky taste of pork elevates this dish to truly astonishing heights. I have also used this sauce base to make sweet and sour vegetables and sweet and sour chicken as well.
Sweet and sour pork with vegetables
Recipe source: My friend, the teller of stories-V
- Pork- ½ Pound (cut into cubes)
- Vegetables – 1 can or 1/2 packet frozen mixed veggies like broccoli, peas, carrot, beans etc.
- 1 pod garlic- slice thin
- 2-3 Green chillies ( I like the really small, extra spicy thai variety)
- 1 tsp ginger (minced or use ginger paste)
- Cooking oil – 3 tbsp
- For the pork marinade:
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup water or chicken stock
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp corn starch
- Mix ingredients for marinade in a bowl. Add the pork and rub until fully covered.Keep in the fridge for 20 mins or overnight to marinate.
- Take the cooking oil in a wok. Fry the marinated pork well until browned on all sides and the flesh is flaky and not pink. Take out and drain the excess oil. Keep the wok aside but do not wash away the glorious pork juices, we'll use this in a bit.
- Take all the ingredients for sauce in a bowl and mix well till the sugar dissolves and everything is well combined. Keep aside.
- Take the wok you used to fry the pork . Add 1 tbsp of oil. Fry the garlic, and ginger until the raw smell is gone. Now add green chillies and fry on low for a few mins until cooked. Be careful that they don't burn or you and everyone in your house will have a coughing fit!
- Add the can of vegetables and stir fry for 2 minutes or if using frozen vegetables cook as per packet instructions.
- Make some space like a well in the center of the vegetables and add in the sauce. Stir till bubbles appear as the sauce boils.
- Add the fried pork and mix well. Stir till all vegetables and pork is well coated with the sauce.
- If the sauce is a little thin and you want to thicken it, mix the corn flour with about 3-4 tbsp s of water and pour it into the sauce. Mix and let it simmer until it has thickened.
- Serve hot with plain or fried rice.