Coconut Kissed Banana Bread (No butter, no eggs!) to kick start a week long sweet celebration!

I was busy  baking and packing some goodies to take to the bake sale on friday night and meanwhile getting a feel of what was going on during the match through the husband's reactions. "Noooo!!!"and @#$%! whenever we lost a wicket and claps and cheers and much thumping of our poor table when something good happened. Comments were flying through FB too and it was fun to read everyone's reactions! 
Definitely a sweet victory for cricket crazy India, after 28 long years since the last World cup win. Most definitely something worth celebrating! 

I though this deserves an extra special celebration- like a week long sweet celebration! Yes I will post one sweet or dessert posts every day of the week till Saturday! This will also motivate me to post the recipes of the goodies that I already baked for the bake sale, and also some new ones I am dying to try! You are welcome to join me on this sweet ride! Leave a link to your sweet dish in the comments and I will link it in my next day's post :) It would be nice if you can link back to this mini event post in your's too.

This sweet coconutty banana bread, would be a perfect treat to start with especially for fellow banana bread/cake lovers like me. It is also one of the easiest things ever to bake. All you need is a bowl and a fork to mix the batter. No need for electric mixers, and also no need for butter or eggs! 

In fact if you plan on baking with a child, you should try this.Actually, you MUST try this. Especially if you  are skeptical of vegan recipes as I once was. "A cake without butter!" I would gasp. And then  this is what happened next.I am telling you.You will never feel the same again either

First you start with two ripe bananas. (You can also peel and freeze ripe bananas to use up later whenever you feel like baking this bread, or banana pancakes too. Just thaw for a few minutes by microwaving it and proceed!)


Then you let loose all your day's tensions in some therapeutic smashing and mashing. I couldn't help thinking this is pretty much what the Indian Cricket team did on Saturday to the Srilankan Team!!!:)


Then you add in the remaining ingredients, mix everything up with the fork, spatula or a large spoon and pour it into a loaf pan, put it in the oven and take out a beautiful, golden brown, fragrant, moist loaf- a one bowl, simple but insanely delicious banana bread!

Coconut Kissed Banana Bread
Recipe Source: Slightly adapted from my sister-in-law who bakes this for my dairy allergic nephew. Though his friends always end up finishing the entire cake, leaving the non-vegan cakes behind! 
She got this miraculous recipe from an allergy-free cookbook.

Ingredients ( The order in which these ingredients are added is important):
  • 2 ripe bananas peeled and mashed well till no lumps remain ( the riper the bananas the stronger the banana flavour.) 
  • 1/2 cup oil ( I used 1/4 cup coconut oil + 1/4 cup canola oil ) 
  • 1 cup sugar ( I have  halved this amount too and it worked- just made the cake a little drier)
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3 TBSP water, 3 TBSP oil, 2 tsp baking powder (all mixed together in that order and kept aside for about 5 minutes prior, not much more ahead else it may lose some of the fizz require to make the cake rise)
  • 1/4 tsp, baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla essence ( optional) 
Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Grease and flour a 9X5 inch loaf pan. ( I used vegetable oil to grease the pan and didn't flour it, but lined the bottom with parchment paper)
In large bowl, mix all ingredients in order given ( if you don't follow the order, things may not work so its VERY IMPORTANT!). Pour into pan and bake 40 to 50 minutes. 
In my bundt pan it usually only takes 35 mins. My rule of thumb is to start checking the cake with a skewer after about 30 mins to check if it's done, but don't open the oven earlier than that as the cakes my not rise properly.
Let it cool in the pan for about 10-15 mins. Then run a knife around the sides of the pan. 
Invert it onto a plate or cooling rack and let cool completely for a few hours before packaging it since cakes that are packaged without having cooled completely will become moldy.
Here I wrapped the cake in wax paper and then a layer of cling film and tied it up with a pretty checkered ribbon- makes a perfect gift!

You can also bake this in muffin or cup cake tins and it would be perfect for breakfast or as an after school snack because it is dense and filling and soo good, and pretty healthy too-without all that butter and eggs, see now more reason to start mashing those bananas! 

Variations: The coconutty flavour goes really well with bananas- but you can add or reduce the proportions of coconut oil depending on your preference, or just use other flavor and odorless oil like vegetable, rice or canola oil instead. I have not tried this with olive oil because I don't like the taste of olive oil in sweets, if you do let me know. I have also baked this with half almond flour which gave it a wonderfully nutty taste but it came out a little drier. Maybe a little lesser-1/4th or 1/2 cup might be better. You could also try this with spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, or go crazy with nuts and chocolate chips! I have not tried replacing the bananas with another fruit and am not sure if it will work well, though my sister-in-law has replaced one banana for 5-6 strawberries to make some pink tinged banana strawberry bread! 
For more vegan recipes click here
For more no butter, dairy free recipes click here
For more eggless recipes click here 

57 comments:

  1. Wow! These look lovely!! we have been telepathic about this - I made this last night - only i used grated coconut and dates AND no butter and no eggs either :))- will be posting this week ---

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so yum and perfectly baked and wrapped :) Great that ur putting so much effort for this bakesale...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one - No eggs, no butter :) I've gotta try this! And I love the checkered ribbon... that's really cute!
    Not sure if I'll be able to do one every day of the week though I would love to. But I have one sweet post in the making and another in my head.. Will post the link here once done writing them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its has been a long i prepared bread with banana, time to make some..Gorgeous bread..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's my entry, Magpie :) http://spoonfulofdelight.blogspot.com/2011/04/joys-of-baking-cakes.html#recipe

    ReplyDelete
  6. No Eggs , No Butter. That sounds gr8 !!! I am planning to do a sweet post today. Will link it to your page.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The banana bread is looking really inviting and comforting... !

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow...banana bread looks so delicious...too tempting to resist !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, no eggs, no butter?awesome. Wish it need an oven also. :-(. I cannot try this for a long time, till I get back to my home.
    But this is a beauitful treat and am book marking it for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. maggie...i hav a query...to participate in your sweet event...does it hav to be only veg recipes or non veg is also ok ?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anything as long as it's sweet! Though um..a non veg sweet dish would be..intriguing?
    sliceofmylyfe- Do you know anything about baking cakes in the microwave? My mom once did and it came out pretty ok. I am clueless tho. Let me know if you try this! would love to hear what you thought of it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rose, Here is my entry :

    http://inspirationalartofcooking.blogspot.com/2011/04/chocolate-muffins.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. First time to ur space and bowled over by this bread. Book Marked this recipe. Glad to follow you. Do drop by mine when you find time.

    http://ticklingpalates.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks all! Do try it and let me know! I really love this recipe, it is pretty fail proof! Radhika, nice to meet you too! Hopping over to your space right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you dear for sending this wonderful vegan cake to CWLSC event.I am going to try this soon as muffins for our breakfast with a little bit lesser sugar and oil.Would it be ok ?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Coconut in bakes is quite interesting,I baked coconut brownies and was surprised at the great coconutty aftertaste.This is one super easy recipe,bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow ! these look good :) bookmarked ! Do you think adding dessciated coconut (just a bit)instead of the oil would suit this ! My family doesnt like the smell of coconut oil :)
    First time here. happy to follow you.. Do visit my space and ongoing event when you do find time ! Cheers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Vidhya- I haven't tried it but if you do, let me know how that worked!
    Mom Chef- If you don't like coconut oil, just use canola or rice or sunflower oil/any other flavourless oil instead! Am sure the addition of shredded coconut would make for a lovely texture, but I don't think it can replace the oil.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi just a question on this recipe! In the "mix water, oil and baking powder" part, is it supposed to be BP, or baking soda? I'm certainly no masterchef, but I've never associated BP with 'fizz' before! In my usual banana bread the BS is dissolved in milk prior... Thanks! Jo From New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jo Thanks for visiting all the way from gorgeous New Zealand!- This recipe definitely calls for baking powder to be mixed with the oil and water. Later on 1/4 tsp baking soda ( as mentioned above) is added to the batter. I have no idea how this works, but it does! Awesomely!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi again from NZ! Thanks so much - I made it your way while awaiting your reply and it was FANTASTIC! We added choc chips so could have reduced the sugar slightly. Butter and free range eggs are SO expensive here that home-baking is not very cost effective, HOORAY for recipes like this! Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so glad Jo :) I have a bunch of egg-less, butter-less recipes on this blog:

    Vegan ( dairy and egg-less)
    http://magpiesrecipes.blogspot.com/search/label/vegan

    Allergy friendly ( Dairy-free or Eggless recipes- may or may not be both)
    http://magpiesrecipes.blogspot.com/search/label/allergyfriendlycooking

    ReplyDelete
  23. Half olive oil half coconut plus added raisins and cacao nibs made this very special. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Would you head plainly repost this kind of over to this weblog?
    One of the better to be certain credit history
    is offered in which it's owing. Have a very good one particular!
    Have a look at my web site Check Background

    ReplyDelete
  25. It’s not necessarily all around staying highly relevant to the
    info, however my spouse just simply transferred and also witnessed
    the term digg on screen. In her own little brown eyes,
    she genuinely observed booger, and also asked about the reason why I had been studying in relation to boogers.
    I haven’t giggled overtime in many weeks.
    Also visit my web page ; Instant Auto Insurance

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wοw! Thiѕ blog looks just lіkе my old one!
    It's on a totally different topic but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Excellent choice of colors!

    Look into my blog ... oil for deep fryer

    ReplyDelete
  27. А ρeгson nеcessarіlу lеnd а hand to make severely аrticles І woulԁ stаte.
    That is the verу first time Ι frequеnted yοur website ρаge and to this pοint?

    І аmazed ωith thе analysis you made
    to make thіs aсtual publish amazing.

    Great ϳob!

    Check out my websitе: morphy richards bread maker

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello! This is mу firѕt visit to yοur blog!
    We are a tеam of volunteers and startіng a nеw initiative in a communіty in the same niсhe.

    Your blog pгovidеd us beneficial infoгmation
    to work оn. You have dοne а outstanding job!


    Also visit my blog :: cooking with a halogen oven

    ReplyDelete
  29. I аm genuіnely grateful to the hοlder οf thiѕ web page whο has shared this impressiѵe ρіecе оf wгitіng at here.


    My pаge :: steam cleaner reviews

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, amazing blog layоut! Hοw long hаve you been
    blogging fοr? you maԁe blogging looκ easy.

    Thе overall loоk of your web site is excellent, as well aѕ the content!


    My web-ѕitе :: zojirushi bread maker

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ехcellent web site you've got here.. It's harԁ
    to find qualіty writing lіke yours these ԁays.
    I honestly appreciate peoplе lіkе you!
    Take care!!

    Alѕo visit my web blog ... ice cream maker recipe

    ReplyDelete
  32. ӏ droρ a cοmment eаch time I espеcіallу enjoy a post on а blοg or
    іf I have sοmethіng to ѵаluable to cοntributе to thе conѵеrsatiοn.
    It's caused by the fire communicated in the post I read. And on this article "Coconut Kissed Banana Bread (No butter, no eggs!) to kick start a week long sweet celebration!". I was actually moved enough to post a comment ;-) I actually do have a couple of questions for you if it'ѕ
    oκay. Cоuld it be simply me oг do a few of the сomments appear аs іf they are сomіng from bгаin dead indіѵіdualѕ?
    :-P And, if you are postіng at other оnlіne soсial siteѕ, I'd like to follow everything fresh you have to post. Would you make a list the complete urls of all your communal pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

    Here is my website :: breadman bread maker

    ReplyDelete
  33. It's a shame you don't haѵе a ԁonate button!
    I'd certainly donate to this brilliant blog! I guess for now i'll settle fοr bоoκ-markіng
    аnd adԁing your RSЅ feed to my Goοglе account.
    I look forward to branԁ new updates and will talk about this blοg with
    my Facebooκ grouρ. Тalk soon!

    Check out mу ωeb pаge silver sparkle shoes

    ReplyDelete
  34. Keep this going ρlease, great job!

    Alsο viѕit mу weblog :: gas deep fryer

    ReplyDelete
  35. I've learn some good stuff here. Certainly price bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how so much attempt you put to create this sort of fantastic informative web site.

    Feel free to visit my web site ... halogen oven chips

    ReplyDelete
  36. Just ωant to say yοur article is as aѕtounding.
    The clarity on your put up is simрly cool аnd thаt
    i cаn asѕume уou're a professional in this subject. Fine with your permission let me to seize your RSS feed to keep up to date with approaching post. Thanks a million and please carry on the enjoyable work.

    Have a look at my webpage :: cuisinart ice cream makers

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi thеre, always i used tο сheck websіte
    pοsts here in the eаrly hourѕ in the break of dаy, since і love to
    find out more аnԁ mоre.

    Visit my blog post; electric deep fryers

    ReplyDelete
  38. Іt's in fact very difficult in this active life to listen news on TV, so I simply use world wide web for that reason, and get the most recent news.

    Here is my website - How to use a Deep fat fryer

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi, its pleasant paragraρh concerning medіа print, we all unԁerstand media is a greаt source оf facts.


    Take a loоk at my wеblog - seafood restaurant

    ReplyDelete
  40. Excellеnt post. Кeеp writing such kіnԁ of іnformation on your sіte.
    Im reаlly imρгesseԁ by it.
    Hey there, You've performed a great job. I'll definitelу dіgg it
    аnd in mу view reсоmmend to mу friends.
    I am suгe they'll be benefited from this site.

    my webpage eylure lashes

    ReplyDelete
  41. Useful іnformаtion. Lucky me
    I found your wеb site bу accident, and I'm surprised why this accident didn't сame about in
    аԁvanсe! I booκmаrked іt.


    My website morphy richards bread makers

    ReplyDelete
  42. Excellent blog hеre! Alѕo yоuг website loаds up fast!
    What web host are you usіng? Can ӏ get your
    affiliatе lіnk to your hoѕt?
    I wish mу ωeb site lοaded up аs quicκlу as yours lol

    Feel free to viѕit my ωeblοg .
    .. italian dishes

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hі thегe, every tіme i useԁ to cheсk web site ρostѕ here in thе еarly houгs in
    the break οf daу, ѕince i еnjoy to gain κnowlеdge of moгe аnԁ mοre.


    my blog; deep fryer basket

    ReplyDelete
  44. Αwеsomе blоg! Do уou have any hints
    for aspiring writers? I'm hoping to start my own website soon but I'm a little lost on everythіng.

    Would you ѕuggeѕt starting with a fгee
    plаtform likе Wordpгess or go for а paid оptiοn?
    There are so many options out there that I'm totally confused .. Any recommendations? Thanks a lot!

    Feel free to surf to my site: deep fryer oil

    ReplyDelete
  45. This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
    I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your wonderful post.
    Also, I have shared your site in my social networks!


    Also visit my website: size genetics

    ReplyDelete
  46. I am not able to view this website correctly on opera I believe there is a drawback

    Also visit my blog; why am i not getting pregnant

    ReplyDelete
  47. Greetings from California!

    I'm bored at work so I decided to check out your site on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the knowledge you present here and can't wait to
    take a look when I get home. I'm amazed at how fast your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I'm not even
    using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, very good blog!

    My web blog: archery

    ReplyDelete
  48. I've been surfing online more than 2 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It
    is pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as
    you did, the internet will be much more
    useful than ever before.

    Here is my weblog ... unions

    ReplyDelete
  49. This is a topic that is close to my heart... Best wishes! Exactly where are your contact details
    though?

    my blog :: home lender mortgage refinancing

    ReplyDelete
  50. I love what you guys
    are up too. This sort
    of clever work and coverage!

    Keep up the superb works guys I've incorporated you guys to blogroll.

    Stop by my homepage - darien ct real estate

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hey there! Someone in my Facebook group shared this website with
    us so I came to check it out. I'm definitely loving the information.
    I'm bookmarking and will be tweeting this to my followers!
    Exceptional blog and outstanding design.

    Look at my homepage; meet singles in your area

    ReplyDelete
  52. Howdy just wanted to give you a quick heads up.

    The words in your content seem to be running off
    the screen in Opera.
    I'm not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I figured I'd
    post to let you know. The style and design look great though!
    Hope you get the issue fixed soon.

    Cheers

    Feel free to surf to my web site :: dating site free

    ReplyDelete
  53. I am extremеly inspired with your writing abilіties aѕ smartly as with
    the structuгe to your blog. Is that this a paid ѕubject
    or did you moԁіfу it your self? Anyway stay up the niсe quality writing, it's rare to peer a nice weblog like this one today..

    Feel free to surf to my web site; silver shoe

    ReplyDelete
  54. Wоw that was οdd. I just ωгote an extremely long сomment but aftеr I cliсked submіt my comment dіdn't appear. Grrrr... well I'm nοt writing
    all thаt over аgaіn. Anуhow, just
    wantеd to say еxcellent blog!

    Feel fгee tο ѕurf to my ωеb page - childrens silver shoes

    ReplyDelete
  55. Great recipe! I used three bananas instead, opted for raw cane sugar, linseed oil, and sprinkled some chia seeds on top. Delicious and healthy ;)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile and encourage me to keep blogging! Thanks for visiting and taking time to leave me a message :)